Shortbread – stop buying it premade!
Prep time: 10m
Cook time: 30m + 10m wait
I seriously can't believe that I made specials trips to the store to buy Walker's shortbread in the past when I could have made it faster at home! These are delicious and simple to make.
- 1 cup softened delicious butter
- 1/2 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 cups white all purpose flour (I use unfortified)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C)
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer - about 2 minutes. I recommend using the wire whisk attachment for this portion because it adds air to the mixture.
- Slowly add the flour until it's combined.
- Pat into an ungreased 8"x8" or 9"x9" baking pan. I put gloves on and pat it down evenly. Poke with fork to prevent bubbling on the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Shortbread should be lightly colored on the edges.
- Cut immediately after removing from the pan, then cool on a wire rack. Serves 16.
Top with caramel sauce and chocolate to make millionaire bars.
This would still come out great with gluten-free flours. I've had shortbread made out of oat flour, but I have never tried making my own version.