Fauxjita – Taco Salad
Cook time: 20m
Yield: 1-2 servings
Easy and quick salad to make that reminds you of the Mexican restaurants you used to go to! I like making this when I have ground beef leftovers and want to make something quick.
- 4 oz ground beef, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 stalk green onions, chopped
- 1 oz white cheese, shredded or crumbled (optional, leave out for dairy-free)
- seasoning as desired or tolerated
- Prepare ground beef - cook on stove top in heavy skillet. For low-salicylate options, some may tolerate a little garlic (1/4 tsp or half clove) added, maybe a Tbsp of onion, or add leeks. I like to sauté and brown it up, breaking it up with a spatula. For the last few minutes, I add a little water (1/4 cup) and cover with a lid which softens it up, leaves it moist, and distributes any flavors. Then I remove the lid and let the water evaporate. Add salt to taste. I like it served hot.
- Add chopped lettuce to bowl.
- I like to add cheese under the meat (so it melts), but if you are serving to others, add the cheese on top of the meat so it looks prettier. Cheeses I recommend are Monterrey Jack, Provolone, white cheddar, or Havarti. Mexican cheeses are great with this meal like Cotija or Queso Blanco.
- Add ground beef.
- Top with sour cream and green onions.
When I cook for others, I'll include a sprinkle of crunched up tortilla chips and a spoonful of salsa. For mine, I'll add some Beanitos black bean or white bean chips if I have them.