This year I thought long and hard about great gifts to give and receive, even if you have salicylate sensitivity. These are also practical for people with food sensitivities, sensitive skin, or fragrance sensitivity.
Part 1 and 2 are two separate videos.
This site is supported through a small commission I receive from Amazon affiliate links when you click on the "where to find it" area. There is no additional fee to you. Learn more on how I'm funded.
1. Sally' Bucket Low-salicylate Soaps or cosmetics
These are lovely soaps! If you try them out, please leave comments in the directory at https://low-sal-life.com/food-product-directory/health-body/health-body. There are many more useful products in her store so shop around. The three I featured in the video were:
- Sunflower Castile Soap - https://www.etsy.com/listing/820958552/sunflower-castile-soap-3-bar-set
- Goat Milk Soap - https://www.etsy.com/listing/711078793/3-bar-goat-milk-set
- African Black Soap - https://www.etsy.com/listing/821063824/african-black-soap-3-bar-set
2. Pear Apron and Mitts
Basically any kitchen item that has pears, golden delicious apples, chayotes, eggs, or something that is edible by low-sal folks would be appropriate. It's time to throw out the lemon and avocado mitts! I like looking for handcrafted or vintage aprons on Etsy - here's a few I found.
- https://www.etsy.com/search?q=pear%20apron (just a search for pear aprons on Etsy)
- https://www.etsy.com/listing/861708981/green-and-yellow-pear-print-full-apron (Etsy, green vintage looking apron)
- https://www.etsy.com/listing/397902663/reversible-green-and-yellow-pear-apron (Etsy, green and yellow apron, I think this might be handmade)
- https://www.etsy.com/listing/662113842/yellow-pear-quilted-oven-mitt-set (Etsy, yellow mitts, sewn by store owner)
- https://sewcraftie.bigcartel.com/product/pear-apron (Sew Craftie, Australia, Green handmade pear apron)
3. Potato Peelers and Cutting Boards
I am always looking for my peeler and running out of cutting boards. Here are some of my favorites:
- https://amzn.to/3c7cz7U - Kuhn Rikon Potato Peeler, 3 set
- https://amzn.to/3v3cRW0 - Victorinox non-swivel peeler with point
- https://amzn.to/30hfxB6 - Plastic colorful cutting boards (no texture) set of 3
- https://amzn.to/30kmmls - Bellemain set of four cutting boards, with texture
4. Funny side up cooking silicone molds
Fun silicone molds can make boring white and bland food a little more exciting - and the silicone molds can be used in the oven or freezer.
- https://amzn.to/2Osz5zN - 4 set with bunny, skull, owl and sunshine/cloud
- https://amzn.to/2MSP89E - 4 set with bunny, frog, owl and cat
- https://amzn.to/3sXyhly - silicone mold with a unicorn!
- https://amzn.to/3c9inxB - Super cute pig!
- https://amzn.to/2PFTpym - stainless steel shapes for pancakes or eggs
5. Unscented plants/flowers
- Phalaenopsis orchid
- Dendrobium orchid
- Tropical Green plants: Dracaena, Monstera, etc.
- Calla lilies
6. Homemade Bath Bombs
- The Beauty of Salicylate Intolerance FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2552893438061284
- Bath Bomb recipe: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2552893438061284/permalink/2586033631413931
7. Whipped Cream Carafe
- Ico whipped cream dispenser: https://amzn.to/3bnWfR2
- 8g N20: https://amzn.to/3bnwss3
These are all brand's I've tested and enjoyed:
- Beefeaters Gin
- Tanqueray Gin
- Johnny Walker's Whisky
- Pendleton's Canadian Whisky
- Kettle One Vodka (contains wheat, but is certified gluten-free)
- Potato Vodka (I recommend this for celiacs): Tito's Handmade Vodka is a good one
9. Maple Products
- Maple syrup, any will do – use 100% maple syrup (avoid sulfites): https://amzn.to/3qsQeGJ
- Maple creamed butter Nova https://amzn.to/3kT50Wd
- Tristan Foods Hard Candy Maple Drops https://amzn.to/2O2nasO
- Nova Maple Candy – 8oz https://amzn.to/2OarZA3
- Pure maple bread: https://www.thespruceeats.com/pure-maple-syrup-bread-305586
10. Diagnostic Tests
- 23 and me: https://www.23andme.com
- Gut Microbiome tests: https://knowyourdna.com/home-health/5-best-at-home-microbiome-tests
- GenoPalate: https://www.genopalate.com
These products are provided as a possible suggestion for people who are sensitive to salicylates or have food allergies. Always consult with your doctor and/or dietician before beginning dietary investigation into a food intolerance. Information on this site is drawn from the personal experience and scientific literature. The low-sal-life.com and Sarah Verlinde cannot be held liable for any errors or omissions.
Also, products are reviewed by Sarah Verlinde prior to posting, and review ratings are provided by viewers/website guests. Please remember that food products and manufacturing changes, sometimes rapidly. Always review the ingredients before buying and consider our posted review date because they may have changed.